Content marketing tips for hotels, guest houses and B&Bs
To convert site visitors to bookings, you need good content on your website. If you’ve just started your business, or if being online is still a bit new to you, don’t worry! We provide some tips on how to market your accommodation business online.
Know your audience
Visitors choose guest houses and bed and breakfasts because of their personal touch, and they are more likely to pick hotels for their convenience and location. Before writing the content for your website, you need to make sure you know who your target audience is. You can then generate targeted content written in a style that appeals to these visitors.
Next, visitors will be looking for photos of the rooms, surroundings, and anything special you might offer. Creating great photos takes a bit of work, but having excellent photography will help you stand out from your competition.
Source: St James Hotel, London
Check out our blogs on how to choose and edit your imagery
part 1 and part 2, and find some tips below on how to shoot stunning pictures:
- Light: Early morning or late afternoon light looks beautiful on pictures, of course depending on where your windows are. Don’t worry if you don’t have many windows, you can make use of the lights in the room (or add a few more lamps on strategic places). Try out a few different scenarios for best results.
- Composition: It’s obvious that you need to make the beds before taking a photo, but there are more things you can do to make the room look more attractive. Think about adding a vase of flowers, lighting a candle, or placing other accessories that create a nice vibe.
- Perspective: “Nobody puts Baby in the corner”, but to take great pictures, you will have to! Try out all corners, and see which one will give you the most interesting perspective. Also think about detailed compositions of a great breakfast spread, or beautiful furniture.
- Versatility: Visitors don’t want to see ten pictures of the same bedroom from different angles. What is your unique selling point? Is it the great view, the amazing home-cooked breakfast, the luxurious bed linens or your friendly service? Make sure to add a good variety of images representing these selling points.
You’re probably all too aware of the importance of review sites for your industry. With 350 million unique monthly visitors, TripAdvisor is both a prime example and the market leader for user-generated content.
Make sure you are using TripAdvisor to your advantage:
- First things first, you need to claim your business listing on TripAdvisor. If it doesn’t exist yet, add it yourself.
- Add your TripAdvisor link to your site. Your visitors will appreciate being able to combine your website info with user reviews.
- Ask your visitors to review their stay on TripAdvisor. Since you already have their contact details, you can send them an email after their stay. Many visitors will be happy to oblige you with a review.
- Respond to reviews ASAP and do so politely. You show that you are attentive by responding quickly. It is vital to respond professionally to reviews, even if you don’t agree with a bad review. Keep in mind that everyone reading it is a potential visitor. Don’t respond with an emotional rant! You will get more credit for replying with a courteous explanation and apology.
Stand out from the competition and attract as many visitors as possible. A well-planned special offer will help to give you the edge! Take a look at our ideas for promotions:
- Advertise special offers through all your channels, and don’t forget to update regularly!
- Talk to other businesses nearby about a combination offer. How much would your customers love a complimentary meal at your favourite restaurant with a three-night stay?
- Send out special offers to previous visitors via email to attract repeat business.
- Consider using new ways to offer deals, such as websites like Groupon and LivingSocial. This can be a great way to promote your business to their large customer base. As some of these websites take a large cut of the already reduced profit, it is important to
- explore your options.
And there is more…
In this article, we’ve only scratched the surface of what you can do online. If you’re doing all of the above already, you could also open up social media accounts or start to use an online scheduling app to streamline your booking process. Scroll down for blogs on various subjects if you want to learn more!
We’re full of bright ideas on how to improve your website for better results. If you need SEO and social media assistance, contact Trendzer to discuss our Search Engine Manager service on 0800 047 6777.
< Back to Blog page